Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Those of you looking ahead, don't spoil it for the rest of the class!

Wild and Crazy Couple Alert!

We did something spontaneous; we went out to a restaurant just for dessert.

Next thing you know, we'll be ducking into the local pub for a quick pint and hitting the movies on a weeknight. Jump back!

On my way to the grocery store, I pass a Mimi's Cafe. Ever been to one? We'd gone a couple of times in California, but hadn't made an effort here. However, I thought about it the other day while researching restaurants, and looked it up. I like their website, and the way they display the nutritional info. The big discovery was the petite treats list. (Hey, it's the little things - harhar!)

I was expecting the equivalent of those dessert shots all the other chain restaurants are touting. I felt a little guilty when we told the waitress we were just there for dessert, because she had to be thinking about the tip. However, after perusing the menu, we decided to order four different mini desserts, so we could have our own tasting party. The prices seemed pretty comparable, at $2.49 each.

While waiting for our order, Mike and I chitted-the-chat about various things, including blogging. Neither of us is really excited about our layout, design, gadgets, etc. We debated the merits of registering our own domains, and how I needed to start adding pictures, cause damn.

We talked about blogs we were reading, how we've known about dooce forever, but totally missed a bunch of the other stars of the blogosphere. Currently, I'm reading the archives for Sundry, and since she's been at this since January 2002, there's a lot to read. The thing about archives is, you want to comment on something, but it's been literally years, and the blogger has moved on. Plus, the links rarely work any more, and you feel totally left out of the loop. I do love me some backstory tho!

When the waitress returned, we were a little shocked. I believe I may have bleated, "I didn't think they'd be so BIG!" (Insert male genitalia joke here.) Seriously, these individual servings? Were huge. Especially for the price!

My lemon mousse was topped with fresh blueberries and sauce, and the raspberry mousse had a generous dollop of whip cream. 114 calories/31 mg sodium and 123 calories/34 mg sodium, respectively. YUM.

Mike enjoyed the apple cinnamon crisp (318 calories and 137 mg sodium) which was served with a scoop of ice cream. I had a nibble, and it was tasty. The bread pudding, on the other hand, was such a huge serving, he took that home after a few bites. I tried it, but it wasn't for me. He says it was good. I'm kinda glad I didn't like it, actually. 415 calories and 316 mg sodium, for the petite.

So, our outing was a success. AND I took pictures, with the sole purpose of putting them on my blog. A bit blurry; something to work on.


Here's Mike, enjoying the ambiance and decor. I can't say the scheme is original, since this eclectic-on-purpose look is everywhere, but still, in my All-American heart, I dig it.




The view from our booth. For once, we weren't hidden in the beast corner! We were front and center where people had to pass us on the way to their own tables. Those green seats are part of the waiting area, and the bar is directly behind it. Hmm, both those chandeliers have the same bulb burnt out.




The aftermath. Sure, a picture of the actual desserts pre-consumption would have been prettier, but we were more concerned with eating than with picture taking. Silly us.





Sorry, I know this picture is gross. But this is how much of the bread pudding was left over after it was nibbled on. See, big portions, little price!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, pictures! I'd kinda hoped this dessert binge would stay between you and I, but you gotta use the content you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dessert Party!!! YUM!!!
    I'm with you, Girl!! I don't much care for Bread Pudding either...even chocolate Bread Pudding.

    My fav is Apple Crisp or Chocolate Mousse.....or any kind of cheesecake EXCEPT chocolate.

    You've just sort of inspired a blog-post for me.
    (And YAY on the pics!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete